So I was reading a post on an electronics and reverse engineering blog. In this post, the author describes a problem he ran into when importing an Audacity project created using version 2.1.1 of Audacity into version 3.0.0 and how he solved this problem. Also, around that time I had just learned that the Audacity open source project had been acquired by the Muse Group which created all sorts of problems for the community. So thus, forks of Audacity have been created to try to address these problems. So I was wondering if you could create an Audacity project in version 2.1.1 and then import it successfully in one of the Audacity forks. The Audacity forks that I used in this experiment were tenacity and sneedacity.
So the first thing that I needed to do was to create an Audacity project in version 2.1.1(an .aup file) and in order to do that I needed to find Audacity 2.1.1 for Linux. However, I could only find Audacity 2.1.1 for MacOS and Windows respectively.
So I used an old Mac desktop to install Audacity 2.1.1 and then, created an Audacity project with test audio in it.
Now, back on my Linux laptop I installed sneedacity and tried to import the Audacity project and I got the following error:
But however, when I imported it with tenacity I was more successful:
The audio was fully playable.